Who else feels like this summer is flying by?! Now that we are entering the last half of the summer it feels like it is time to really make the most of the warm weather. But it’s still important to be mindful of COVID-19 guidelines and take precautions to keep your community safe. So how can you make the most of this summer while staying safe and healthy? Try out some of these activities that make it a little easier to stay safe while having fun in the sun.
Running, Biking, or WalkingI’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: running, biking and walking are great ways to get outside and also get a workout in! And it’s actually pretty easy to stay safe while doing these activities in the summer. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- The most important tip: stay six feet away from others. We’ve all heard this tip a million times but for good reason. When choosing your route try to pick a low traffic area where you can easily put some distance between you and others.
- Try to avoid touching shared surfaces outside. For example, crosswalks, benches, and tables.
- Bring enough water and even a snack so you don’t have to make any stops to refuel.
Beach TripGoing to the beach is a summer must! Whether you prefer to lay on the beach and read a book or get out in the water, it’s such a fun way to spend the day. But it’s important to take precautions to ensure your own safety as well as the safety of others! Here are a few tips to keep your beach day safe:
- Find a beach that has less traffic. If you are like me and live in a city, you might have to drive a bit to find a more secluded beach.
- Bring your own supplies. Be sure to pack enough snacks, sunscreen, and hand sanitizer to last the day so you don’t have to make any stops.
- Find a spot on the beach that is away from others. As mentioned before, keeping your distance from others is key!
Camping /Road TripsA road trip is such a fun way to get out of the house and add some variety to your week. Enjoy a day trip on the open road with a friend or two or make it a longer adventure and stop to camp along the way! This option is great because you can limit your interaction with the public and control where you stay. Take a look as some summer road trip safety tips:
- Plan ahead! Make sure to look up the COVID-19 guidelines at your destination so you can make sure you are following their rules.
- Plan your trip with others who have been taking similar safety precautions as you have.
- Bring plenty of supplies so you don’t run out and have to make additional grocery trips.
- Make sure you are prepared with medications and pack extra just in case! Fill any prescriptions ahead of time and pack a first aid kit.
PicnicSpice up your usual summer lunch routine with a picnic! Whether you go to a park or just sit in your backyard, this can be a nice way to get some sunshine and fresh air in your day. And if you are looking for some recipe inspiration, check out our picnic blog for some tasty veggie recipes! A few things to keep in mind:
- BYOP (Bring Your Own Picnic) if you are meeting up with friends. This way you won’t have to share food, utensils, or drinks.
- And, you guessed it, keep your distance! Make sure you maintain at least 6 feet between yourself and others.